HMRC report self assessment statistics
HMRC have reported that a record 9.61 million people submitted their self assessment tax return on time this year.
According to the HMRC statistics of the 10.34 million people in self assessment, 92.9% taxpayers met the return deadlines of 31 October 2012 for paper and 31 January 2013 for online returns.
Of the 9.61 million on time tax returns, 7.93 million (82.5 per cent) were sent online, which is a record number. The remaining 1.68 million (17.5%) were sent on paper.
Anyone who hasn't yet sent their 2011/12 tax return to HMRC will have already incurred a £100 late filing penalty. To avoid any further penalties, they should send their return as soon as possible, as well as paying any outstanding liabilities for the 2011/12 tax year.
The penalties for late Self Assessment returns are:
There are also additional penalties for paying the liability late of 5% of the tax unpaid at: 30 days; six months; and 12 months respectively.
Please do contact us if you would like any help in this area.
Internet link: HMRC press release
Our other services...
We can help with the preparation of accounts for all types of business. Whether you are a Sole Trader, Partnership, Limited Company, Limited Liability Partnership or a Charity, AGP has the expertise to deal with you. We help you fulfil all your obligations with HMRC, Companies House and any other regulatory body that you are required to report to.
An audit provides a high level of independent assurance of the financial position and results of an organisation. This gives shareholders confidence that the reported performance of the business is accurate as well as providing external users with certainty that the accounts show a true and fair view. An audit lends credence to the company accounts in a number of ways.
It is important to ensure your tax planning reflects any changes to your circumstances which is why we work very closely with all our personal clients. AGP are trusted to manage tax efficiently. Sometimes just a simple review of your personal tax circumstances can reveal significant tax saving opportunities which can be realised quickly and at minimal cost..
AGP can become your own part-time Payroll Manager. An expert who knows the complexity of the relevant legislation inside out and for a fraction of the cost of an internal manager. Why not outsource this obligation and spend the time saved doing what you do best, running your business?
Corporation tax can be a huge outgoing for your company if it is not managed correctly and planned appropriately. You can trust AGP to employ a holistic approach to your tax planning whether you are a medium sized SME, an international organisation or a small owner-operator.
Management accounts allow business owners to exert a far greater degree of control over their business, recognising and addressing problems and identifying opportunities soon after they arise.
When running a business, priorities are often focused on the operational side of your business. Bookkeeping & administration can often be put off until it becomes quite a major task. By taking advantage of our bookkeeping service, we can take this problem away so you can get on with running your business while we manage your accounting books.
We take away the hassle. Whether starting a new business or restructuring an existing one, our extensive knowledge of company formation means we can advise you on the merits and possible pitfalls of incorporation.
We have a wealth of experience in the contractor market and as a result there are not many firms of Chartered Accountants that can claim they know the contractor industry as well as AGP. This leads to a number of benefits.